Jerusalem artichoke is a plant that looks like a sunflower from the outside, but underground hides its tubers, which are a tasty and healthy addition to your daily diet!
Jerusalem artichoke (earthen pear) is a perennial herbaceous plant about one and a half meters high (sometimes up to four) with a straight fluffy stem, egg-shaped leaves and yellow inflorescences-baskets with a diameter of 6-10 cm. There are 1-3 stems in a nest, up to 30 tubers per short stolons, compactly collected. Roots at a depth of 10-15 cm extend horizontally up to 4-4.5 m in loose soil, and vertically – up to 1.3 m, which allows plants to withstand drought. It can grow up to 30 years in one place. Potatoes weigh from 20 – 30 to 100 grams, different colors (depending on the variety) – white, yellow, pink, purple, red; the flesh is tender, juicy, with a pleasant sweet taste. The plant is also known by the names “earth pear” and “Jerusalem artichoke”. In its wild form, the plant is found in North America. Potatoes are edible.
It is grown as a valuable fodder, technical and food plant.
Jerusalem artichoke looks like a sunflower, so another name for it is bulbous sunflower. It reaches a height of two meters and even more, has a straight stem, yellow flowers, and leaves that look like sunflowers. At the ends of the underground shoots of this plant there are tubers, different in shape, color and size, resembling potatoes. The plant is mainly propagated by tubers, not seeds. Earth pear begins to bloom only in late autumn, ripens in October-November, when frosts appear.
Серед особливостей топінамбура можна відзначити:
- It does not require care at all, it grows by itself on any soil.
- He is not afraid of any pests and weeds.
- It feels good both in the sun and in the shade.
- Does not accumulate nitrates either in the green mass or in the tubers.
- The taste resembles asparagus and cauliflower, the calorie content – potatoes.
Jerusalem artichoke – useful properties
Jerusalem artichoke contains: pectins, sugars, mineral salts (silicon, potassium, iron and zinc), proteins, amino acids and, of course, many vitamins.
Jerusalem artichoke contains inulin, a substance that is necessary for those suffering from diabetes. There is evidence that regular use of Jerusalem artichoke over a long period of time lowers blood sugar levels. These properties make it indispensable both for those who already have diabetes and for those who are prone to this disease and are at risk of developing it. For this purpose, it is recommended to take 2-3 tubers three times a day, preferably ten minutes before meals. The inulin contained in Jerusalem artichoke helps to remove many toxic substances from the body. With food and during digestion, many ballast substances enter the intestine, which inulin binds and eliminates.
- Inulin promotes more active activity of the gastrointestinal tract and stimulates choleretic activity.
- Consumption of Jerusalem artichoke contributes to the fact that the body becomes more resistant to all kinds of infections and viruses affecting the digestive organs.
- Its useful substances prevent all kinds of disease-causing bacteria and parasites, such as Giardia and Opistorchis, from entering the body. In addition, Jerusalem artichoke contributes to the formation of normal microflora in the intestine, creating all the necessary conditions for this. Thanks to this, it is irreplaceable for those who suffer from dysbacteriosis.
Jerusalem artichoke is useful for mucous membranes, as it stimulates their blood supply.
- It is used as an aid in the treatment of stomach ulcers, diseases of the duodenum, duodenitis, colitis, gastritis, enteritis, pancreatitis, heartburn, diarrhea and constipation.
- Jerusalem artichoke stops vomiting, relieves nausea, relieves heartburn and bitter taste in the mouth, relieves pain and bloating. If, when using different medicines, they are combined with Jerusalem artichoke, these ailments can be cured and eliminated at least 5-7 days earlier.
- Jerusalem artichoke helps to absorb selenium faster, despite the fact that it is not included in its composition. Jerusalem artichoke is recommended to be used regularly by people who live in cities with a bad ecological environment, because it helps to remove salts of heavy metals from the body. Jerusalem artichoke is a cocktail of carbohydrates, organic acids, proteins, vitamins and many other useful substances.
Topinambur – contraindications
No matter how useful a product is, there will always be people with individual sensitivity to it. You need to know about this so that the use of Jerusalem artichoke does not lead to adverse consequences. It is worth noting that raw Jerusalem artichoke can cause flatulence. Fortunately, only this exhausts all the contraindications of this plant.
Jerusalem artichoke in cooking
The taste of Jerusalem artichoke tubers is pleasant, juicy, they will add a certain variety to your menu. Ground pear can be fried, stewed, boiled, steamed, and dried. The healthiest way, in which all the useful substances of Jerusalem artichoke are preserved, is to eat it raw. A good option is to add to various salads. It can also be pre-boiled in milk or water, and then cooked.